1776, land deed just one month after the start of the War
Additional information
  • 1776 Land Deed Signed Just Days After the Start of the War | Autograph manuscript signed by Joshua Kenney of Lebanon, Maine on August 8, 1776 | The Deed is for the sale and conveyance of land to John Benson and Daniel Moulton as Registrar | Daniel Moulton was the sone of American Colonial Hero Colonel Jeremiah Moulton | Very good condition | Lebanon Maine provided numerous patriots to fight for independence in the American Revolution, including family members of Joshua Kenney, John Benson and Daniel Moulton. See ‘Soldiers of the American Revolution, of Lebanon, Maine” by George Walter Chamberlain, Weymouth & Braintree Publishing Co., 1897.Jeremiah Moulton (b. York, Massachusetts (now in York, Maine), 1688, d. York, 20 July 1765) was a New England militia officer and member of the Massachusetts Council.

    As a boy, during King William’s War, Moulton’s parents were killed and he was taken captive in the Raid on York (1692). He was eventually released and served in Father Rale’s War at Fort Richmond (Maine). Between 1721 and 1724 there were four attempts to capture the missionary Father Sebastian Rale; Captain Jeremiah Moulton played a prominent role in at least two of these, including the last, which succeeded, which is known as Battle of Norridgewock.

    After this attack, Captain Moulton continued to take part in scouting expeditions. When the war was over, he remained a militia officer, but resumed his civil career. He became a judge, sheriff of York County, member of the Massachusetts Council, and holder of various other offices. He also developed farms and mills, and helped to found the town which later became Sanford, Maine.

    During King George’s War, Moulton, now a colonel and one of New England’s most experienced soldiers, once more saw active service; he commanded one of the three Massachusetts regiments in the Siege of Louisbourg (1745). In April of that year he landed with the New England troops at Canso and went from there, leading a detached force of New Hampshire men, to capture and destroy Port-Toulouse in early May. He sat regularly with the council of war at Louisbourg and stayed on after the fall of the town to help with its occupation. He did not return to Maine until December 1745; shortly thereafter he was appointed judge of probate for York County.

    He remained an active and respected citizen of York until his death in 1765. He is buried in the Old York Cemetery, York Village, York County, Maine, USA.

  • Date



    Books, Maps, Documents and Manuscripts, Collectibles, Documents & Manuscripts, Ephemera, Memorabilia, Militaria






    American Revolutionary War, Americana, Autographs, Colonial America, Document, Historical


    Laid Paper