Frederick C. Lewis Hand Colored Engraving (after John C. Buckler) of the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of Christ, Canterbury
Eminent and Distinguished Engraver Frederick C. Lewis (1779-1856) (engraving drawing by John C. Buckler (1770-1851)) – Hand Colored Engraving entitled “South-West View of the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of Christ, Canterbury” – Date: November 1804. Work is framed and glazed. Dimensions: 30.5 x 26. Acquired by the Worthington Collection from Private Estate in Canterbury, Kent, England via The Canterbury Auction Galleries. This is an original colored engraving by the artist and not the later lithograph print made of Lewis’ engraving. The original artist proof aquatint is owned by the British Government Art Collection.
Engraver: Frederick Christian Lewis (1779–1856) was an English etcher, aquatint and stipple engraver, landscape and portrait painter and the brother of Charles Lewis (1786–1836). Lewis studied under J. C. Stadler and in the schools of the Royal Academy and aquatinted most of Thomas Girtin’s etchings of Paris, 1803. He made transcripts of drawings by the Old masters for William Young Ottley’s Italian School of Design 1808-12 and executed plates for the publisher John Chamberlaine’s Original Designs of the most celebrated Masters in the Royal Collection, 1812. He engraved Sir Thomas Lawrence’s crayon portraits and was engraver of drawings to Princess Charlotte, Prince Leopold, George IV, William IV, and Queen Victoria. He also painted landscapes, mainly of Devonshire scenery and published several volumes of plates depicting the Devonshire rivers between 1821 and 1843, as well as etchings of the Scenery of the Rivers of England and Wales 1845-7. Lewis transformed numerous natural history paintings by Philip Reinagle into aquatints. His superlative skills as engraver led to frequent commissions from Royalty, and to his contribution to J. M. W. Turner’s Liber Studiorum, a collection of seventy-one etchings with mezzotint, greatly influencing landscape painting.
Artist: John Buckler was born on the Isle of Wight. In 1785 he became a steward of Magdalen College, Oxford. For seven years he was also apprenticed to architect and surveyor Charles Thomas Cracklow. In about 1801 he became Bailiff and Collector of Rents for Magdalen College in Freemason’s Court and Southwark. His post with Magdalen allowed him spare time, which he spent working on his own architectural perspective drawings. He exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1796 to 1849. In 1799, Buckler published an engraving of one of his drawings of Lincoln Cathedral. For the next five years he made a series of views of English cathedrals and churches. By the end of his career, he had produced some 13,000 architectural perspective drawings.
Artist / Maker
Engraved by Frederick C. Lewis after drawing by John C. Buckler